In honor of National Cheese Day, which is June 4, what better recipe to feature than one of the cheesiest – Mac and Cheese. With healthy alternatives to the traditional recipe, it is light in calories and fat. Enjoy!Mac and Cheese Lite
Makes: 4 servings
Nonstick cooking spray
4 ounces whole wheat macaroni
1/2 cup onion-garlic puree (see “Rocco’s Secret Weapon,” below)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup shredded 50 percent reduced-fat cheddar
1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Mist an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set it aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook according to package directions, drain.
- Meanwhile, bring onion-garlic puree, mustard, and cayenne to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk in cheddar until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in yogurt.
- In a medium bowl, toss the macaroni with the cheese sauce. Season with salt to taste. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle panko over the top. Top with Parmesan.
- Bake until Parmesan is melted and macaroni is hot throughout, about 10 minutes.
Nutrition facts per serving (about 2/3 cup): 237 calories, 17g protein, 31g carbohydrate, 7g fat (4g saturated), 3g fiber